For those of you who don't know me, my name is Michelle. I'm a first year Masters student at the Mount in the Lifelong Learning program. I fought against taking this course for a while, convincing myself that it wasn't necessary, that I knew enough about qualitative research, but I realized I was kidding myself and just wanted to take the easy way out by doing what I knew and was comfortable with (in this case, quantitative methods). I've decided to stick to my intentions upon entering this program to learn as much as I possibly could, and challenge myself at every opportunity. So far, so good...
A little about my background: from a small village in Northeastern Nova Scotia, completed a diploma in Human Services with a concentration in Educational Support at NSCC before moving to the big city for my undergrad, which I completed at the Mount in Child and Youth Study with a minor in Applied Statistics. I've held a plethora of jobs over the past 10 years, most of which are irrelevant in this context. My thesis is tentatively titled: Down but not out: Identifying needs and strengths in Nova Scotia's Strait Area economy, in which I will speak to local RDA and Chamber of Commerce members in an attempt to highlight the strengths of the area upon which new economic possibilities can be created. This will build on my practicum project, in which I am working with NSCC to identify a new area for a LINK program which allows adults without a high school diploma to obtain a GED and certificate in one of NSCC's programs in two years. We're hoping to do this in the Strait Area, as there have been serious economic issues in the area due to the closure of NewPage paper mill in Port Hawkesbury. Since I am from the area, this project has particular relevance for me. It is our hope that this project and thesis will lead to the creation of a program at the Strait Area campus and create new economic opportunities for the area and residents.
This blog will serve not only the purposes of GEDU 6107, but will also act as a research log for my thesis. I felt an online log would be most useful, as the majority of my research is done online. It also complements my dislike for paper (I'm a tree hugger...what can I say), and allows me to easily edit, delete, or add postings and resources.
Feel free to take from it what you need, peruse what I've found, or comment on what I've posted.
Call it what you like: a log, a journal, musings, rants, raves, or mindless blathering. Anything I feel may be of interest to you or me will be added in. Regular posts should not be expected (though I promise I'll try really, really hard).
About Me
"Some set great value on method, while others pride themselves on dispensing with method. To be without method is deplorable, but to depend on method entirely is worse. You must first learn to observe the rules faithfully; afterwards, modify them according to your intelligence and capacity" -Sze and Wang, 1963/1707, 17).
"You name your way, I name my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist" - Neitszche
No comments:
Post a Comment