"Some set great value on method, while others pride themselves on dispensing with method. To be without method is deplorable, but to depend on method entirely is worse. You must first learn to observe the rules faithfully; afterwards, modify them according to your intelligence and capacity" -Sze and Wang, 1963/1707, 17).

"You name your way, I name my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist" - Neitszche

Sunday, June 24, 2012

There be changes a'brewin'...

Changes indeed! In the month since my last post (I warned you of my slackness in writing), many changes have been afoot. But where to begin...let's do this chronologically to not agitate my need for logic and sequence.

End of May: quit my job as a TA. There were many reasons for this, the biggest being my hatred for marking and making minimum wage for a position that warranted much more than minimum wage. I found myself overwhelmed with tutoring demands (often working 12 hour days with few, if any, breaks), so I scaled that back as well - being incredibly ill aided in this effort.

Early June: Still sick, still tutoring, applying for jobs like it was my job. The pay sucked, by the way. Was hired to do a bit of consulting/contract work, building a database of relevant courses and training opportunities for those employed by non-profits and other community-based organizations. Finally figured out why I've been sick for 6 months: severe Vitamin D deficiency!


Mid/End of June: Received a call from Coordinator of Disability Services at the Mount. My resume landed on her desk, asked if I was interested in interviewing for a position that was open. Had said interview, got the job. Did an orientation day, saw my office (!), loved every minute of it.

Present day: Trying to summon the motivation to write my dreaded project paper before I start work on July 3. Also gearing up for the AEGSC conference in Fredericton on the 7th. Focused on Stanfest next weekend.

So forgive me for my lack of posts; it's been a rather hectic month. But it seems things are actually working out the way I had hoped for the past 6 years: go to school, do well, get a full-time job by the time (or shortly after) I graduate. CHECK. 'Tis only a 10-month contract due to funding (the federal government funds my position, and due to the recent budget and general shenanigans of the government, they cannot guarantee it will be renewed - great). Hopefully it will be (I'll know next spring), so I can have another 3 years of guaranteed work doing what I love - I should probably explain what it is that I'll be doing. My official title on my business cards/office door (! It still feels a bit weird) is "Learning Strategist" and my role is this: work with students with a documented disability one-on-one and in small groups to share study skills and strategies, organizational and time management techniques, and offer support in their academic pursuits. I'll also be working to establish a mentoring program for students with autism and Asperger's. DREAM JOB. Cross your fingers that I don't bungle this up...mine are.

No comments:

Post a Comment