It seems the end is near for this course, which is kind of depressing - just as I was getting into writing and throwing myself into a genre completely outside my comfort zone. Sigh.
I've made quite a bit of progress with my writing since our last meeting; I managed to knock out 3 complete works, one in progress, and another I plan to write tonight (the foundation has been laid, now it's just to...build? ). I'm hoping to present most of them Saturday to the group, since they are all short.
To be honest, when I signed up for the course I didn't anticipate I would push my boundaries as much as I have; I expected to write my article and leave it at that. I'm glad the timing worked out the way it did; it allowed me the opportunity to take on a completely new project and experiment with different genres and styles I otherwise would not have. This has been the shortest course I've taken in my entire educational career, but I feel I've gained more in the past three or so weeks than I have in the courses that spanned eight months. Having the freedom to choose what I want to work on and in what format was at first daunting, then liberating: the lack of constraints allowed my creativity to flow freely. I've had so much fun with this course and my writing and I plan to continue with my project. My intention was to give my work to my mother for Mother's Day, but it seems I may not have it ready in time. I'm heading home next weekend, so I plan to use next week to put final touches on it and get it bound. I also plan to continue writing to add to the collection. Maybe a writing group? We shall see.
I'm still debating what to do for my performance/reading Saturday: I'm not a performer (though I'm sure my mother would beg to differ), so I toyed with the idea of a sarcastic/satirical monologue about that, saying that I perform me, everyday. I think I'll stick to my original plan, seeing how I managed to memorize the lyrics I want to use...
I started working at the university Tuesday, so I'm trying to adjust to working again. My nights are usually filled with marking ~100 assignments, so little time (and brain power) has been left for writing. I plan to set aside at least an hour tonight to polish my origin story for tomorrow and my project for Saturday.
I hope everyone's doing well with their work and are managing to stay dry in soggy Halifax this week! Something to lift your spirits as we approach the finish line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw&ob=av3e
Call it what you like: a log, a journal, musings, rants, raves, or mindless blathering. Anything I feel may be of interest to you or me will be added in. Regular posts should not be expected (though I promise I'll try really, really hard).
About Me
"Some set great value on method, while others pride themselves on dispensing with method. To be without method is deplorable, but to depend on method entirely is worse. You must first learn to observe the rules faithfully; afterwards, modify them according to your intelligence and capacity" -Sze and Wang, 1963/1707, 17).
"You name your way, I name my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist" - Neitszche
No comments:
Post a Comment