"Some set great value on method, while others pride themselves on dispensing with method. To be without method is deplorable, but to depend on method entirely is worse. You must first learn to observe the rules faithfully; afterwards, modify them according to your intelligence and capacity" -Sze and Wang, 1963/1707, 17).

"You name your way, I name my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist" - Neitszche

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Origin Story...Title to Come


The following is my tentative, in-progress miniature origin story for my writing class. Please feel free to critique or offer suggestions - constructive feedback only please; my poor little ego can't handle a beating.




I rang my clammy and shaking hands as I waited at the door in full counselor attire. It was hot for May that year. My shirt clung to me like a frightened child to her mother in a room filled with strangers. Condensation dripped from the toilet tanks. Lethargy crept up on us while fear of the unknown kept it at bay. It was the first day of the camping season and my first day as a camp counselor. In retrospect, it was a day filled with firsts: the first time I’d been to camp, the first time I’d worked with people with disabilities, the first time I’d done personal care…

12:55 pm. Any minute the campers and their caretakers would inundate the Beehive, leaving us scrambling to find out who they were and where they would be staying for the next 10 days. I looked around at my colleagues, half of whom had done this all before; they laughed and carried on as though this was nothing, a mere formality before routines could be organized, plans could be made, and fun could be had. To me, it was overwhelming.

As the day wore on and campers trickled in, I schlepped bags and gear to our cabin, introduced myself to parents and family members in a vain attempt to ensure their children or siblings were in competent hands for the week. Our group was classified as having moderate to severe cognitive delays; I guess easing us into the job was not a high priority.

Parents and caregivers soon departed, leaving their campers in our questionably capable hands. I search for an ally, someone who looks as nervous as I felt. I feel a tug at my sleeve – a camper. Is she in my cabin? I check her name tag. Yes, she’s in the Castle. She attempts to sign something to me, but I don’t understand ASL. I call for a veteran counselor who quickly recognizes the sign: bathroom.
“I can do this”, I tell myself. It isn’t as though they’re asking you to perform open heart surgery. I wheel her to the cabin, grabbing another counselor on my way out. There’s no way I can do this alone.


1 comment:

  1. Good for you, something on paper or internet as the case may be! Love the clinging shirt metaphor. Looking forward to talking our writing over in class. Hardest darn work I've done in a long time. I am echoing, with determination, your line "I can do this, I can do this." Sometimes it seems those little things are not so little, like taking kids to bathrooms or writing origin stories. Now I must go off to google "psychotherapist" "Halifax". :)

    See you Friday, Kathy K (sorry I'm signed in as HildaRose, oops, talk about origin problems)

    ReplyDelete