In an attempt to make some progress with my classwork, I sat down today to find something, anything, that I could use for my "performance" at the end of the course. I've toyed with the idea of a monologue, or perhaps some poetry; maybe even playing a song I find to be particularly compelling. After exhausting my repertoire, I realized that the songs I would like to play are far beyond my abilities....scratch that idea. So I moved on to the idea of a monologue, but realized it would be unlikely that I could memorize another person's monologue...and the idea of creating my own is far too intimidating (I briefly considered sharing a bit of my inner monologue but quickly decided against it to spare myself and others from being subjected to that insanity). So I've narrowed it down to four possibilities, two of which are Ani Difranco songs I'm currently obsessed with, and two Shel Silverstein poems I remember from my primary schooling. It's more likely I'll remember the words to the Ani Difranco songs, so I'm fairly certain I'll choose one of those (though I utterly adore The Giving Tree and Where The Sidewalk Ends...).
My article is about 65% complete, give or take (I have about half of the results like to write up and some comments for the discussion to add in). I hope to have it out of my hands and off to the second author tonight or tomorrow so I can be done with it all. It's been like pulling hen's teeth (which, if you didn't know, is next to impossible...hens don't even have teeth).
The bulk of my project, stories from my childhood about my mother, has yet to come into fruition. I'm afraid I'm procrastinating too much, thinking that it will be a breeze to pull together...I've always found writing about personal experience came naturally to me and I've always really enjoyed partaking in such activities. I told my mother what I'm working on, and she seemed happy with the idea (though she tries to play her cards close to her chest, I could tell she was touched). I think I'm most nervous about sharing it with her - I can usually remove myself from my work a bit when other people read or critique it, but when it's someone so close to me, I get incredibly self-conscious. Strange, isn't it? I guess since she has lived the experience, I'm afraid I'll misrepresent or remember something that she might prefer to forget...so I've decided to only write about the more positive experiences and events, as I intend to give her the finished product (well, this portion of it anyway) as part of her gift for Mother's Day....well, a late gift for Mother's Day. I doubt I'll have it done to send via snail mail to get there before the 13th; I'd have to send it out now to get there in time.
I've been going non-stop lately with spring cleaning and helping my sister move, both of which are finally done. Most normal people would be elated, but I seem to be at a loss now - what can I do to procrastinate now? Sigh. The life of a cunctator is a difficult one...
To ease those Tuesday blues, I recommend kicking back with this little ditty (warning: this song has be known to cause ear worms, foot tapping, scream-singing, and general happiness): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChNW7Ey7KkM
Call it what you like: a log, a journal, musings, rants, raves, or mindless blathering. Anything I feel may be of interest to you or me will be added in. Regular posts should not be expected (though I promise I'll try really, really hard).
About Me
"Some set great value on method, while others pride themselves on dispensing with method. To be without method is deplorable, but to depend on method entirely is worse. You must first learn to observe the rules faithfully; afterwards, modify them according to your intelligence and capacity" -Sze and Wang, 1963/1707, 17).
"You name your way, I name my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist" - Neitszche
No comments:
Post a Comment