I've never had much interest in birds. Sure, the fact that they can fly is pretty cool, but I find them creepy with their beady eyes staring back at you and their horrendous caws and squawks. I curse the blue-jays that perch outside my window every morning, as if they are actively trying to piss me off at daybreak.
Contrary to my usual ambivalence towards birds, I've developed a fascination and profound respect for crows. Perhaps it's from spending four years at the Mount. I'm convinced that the Mount has such a plethora of crows because nuns become crows when they die...and a lot of nuns have gone through the old Motherhouse before it was dismantled. Crows are strange animals, and are particularly intelligent (check out this cracked.com posting about them - it messes with your mind a little): http://www.cracked.com/article_19042_6-terrifying-ways-crows-are-way-smarter-than-you-think.html
I noticed the other day that a nest had been constructed in the tree directly in front of my balcony, almost at eye level (I'm on the fourth floor of my building). So I've been doing some...observations, if you will. This poor crow stayed in her nest all day, cawing every 5 seconds (I'm not exaggerating - she literally cawed Every. Five. Seconds. All. Day. Normally I wouldn't notice, but it has been nice out the past few days, so I've had my door open. Needless to say, the constant cawing interferes with one's ability to concentrate, so little writing has been done on my part. But it's fascinating! Other crows seem to stand watch over her and the nest (or maybe they're waiting for her to leave so they can squat in her nest...it's hard to tell what a crow's motivations are). One found a plastic bag on the lawn (thank you, lazy, inconsiderate, environmentally-unfriendly neighbors) and started violently pecking it while holding it taut with his feet. He then took bits of the bag and flew it up to the nest and added it (perhaps for insulation?). It seems they are preparing for babies (babies doesn't seem right...eggs?), so I'm looking forward to having a front-row view of the process. I may come to regret my excitement when there are multiple caws outside my bedroom window every morning...
Call it what you like: a log, a journal, musings, rants, raves, or mindless blathering. Anything I feel may be of interest to you or me will be added in. Regular posts should not be expected (though I promise I'll try really, really hard).
About Me
"Some set great value on method, while others pride themselves on dispensing with method. To be without method is deplorable, but to depend on method entirely is worse. You must first learn to observe the rules faithfully; afterwards, modify them according to your intelligence and capacity" -Sze and Wang, 1963/1707, 17).
"You name your way, I name my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist" - Neitszche
No comments:
Post a Comment