"Some set great value on method, while others pride themselves on dispensing with method. To be without method is deplorable, but to depend on method entirely is worse. You must first learn to observe the rules faithfully; afterwards, modify them according to your intelligence and capacity" -Sze and Wang, 1963/1707, 17).

"You name your way, I name my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist" - Neitszche

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tuesday: Let The OK Times Roll

As much as I complain about the Mount sometimes, I've realized there are specific elements and people I will miss tremendously when I finally leave (which could be never...). One of my favorite and most influential mentors and former professors, Randi Warne, is one of those people. I was told when I first started at the Mount to do two things: take Evil with Randi, and a course with Brenda Hattie. While I wasn't able to take any Women's Studies classes, I was able to take Evil, which fostered a four-year relationship between us. I've since dabbled in Cultural Studies, taking a few courses that have provided me with the knowledge and skills that have been integral in my success in my current program of study. I ran into Randi this morning, who always brightens my day and helps to put things into perspective. We get together on occasion to vent a bit, which has been a saving grace for my mental health. I've been feeling stuck with regards to my thesis lately, which has clouded my thinking and ability to relax and repair my exhausted brain. She offered to meet for lunch so I can hash things out and I am very much looking forward to it.

Until then, I'm waist-deep in tutoring and preparing students for their final exam in Statistics. At this point, I think I'm just as anxious as they are for it to be over. Tutoring all day is exhausting; it seems I have the entire course in my head, and retrieving, reciting, and re-phrasing each piece on command is sucking what little brainpower I have left. But I love my students - after working with them all year, I feel somewhat responsible for their successes and failures in the course, and will be sad when it's over and they no longer require my help. Once my day of tutoring is finished, I get to enjoy the insanity that is the grocery store on Tuesdays - as much as I hate fighting my way through the aisles of people unable to decide between the brand name and cheaper option, I can't pass up a deal. 10% is a lot.

The lesson of the day: find a good mentor, get enough sleep before work, and only go to the grocery after 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment