I've been finding it difficult to find time to take a break from life to think and write lately, which has really impeded my creative process. I need to be around other people to become inspired, so I plan to spend as much time as I can at coffee shops, just to feed off their energy and instill a bit of motivation in me. I have far too many distractions around me when I'm at home, so a change of scenery and pace should help with that. Now if only this wintery breeze would disappear and be replaced by warm, sunny days...
It seems it's been more than a week since I've posted anything (I guess my journalling habits die hard), and I wish I had something interesting to say. Let's see...the crow is doing well, nesting comfortably and battling the wind and rains as of late with a quiet grace (I haven't heard her caw in days). I had the pleasure of spending hours at Fabricville Thursday with my mother, which was like taking a sugar-addicted child to Freak Lunchbox. Her plan is to make my sister and me each a quilt for Christmas. It was supposed to be a surprise, but she thought better of it when she realized she was making one for me (the queen of hating surprises). We chose our variety of fabrics (of course, mine had to be perfectly coordinated, which added to the already-lengthy time we had spent there) - I opted for a blue and brown plaid (because really, you can't have a real quilt without some sort of plaid in it), and three complementary colors for the top. My mother insisted that the backing absolutely, unequivocally HAD to be flannelette (why, I'm still not entirely sure) and the options were rather limited - so I went with a cheetah print to express my wild side. I'm sure it will look fabulous.
Because my mother is still experiencing symptoms (she was diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome last year after a nasty head trauma), we decided to limit our activities while she was up to avoid any negative effects. Luckily, the trip up and back went smoothly, and she had mostly good days while she was here. We tried to convince her to move in with my temporarily, just for a change of pace and access to more activities and services (she lives in a rural area with limited...everything) - but she of course refused, clinging to her contempt and fear of any area with a population greater than 2000. All in all, it was a great visit, and I hope it happens again soon.
I've started working on my article for publication this week prior to her arrival, and managed to complete the introduction and methods section; I still have to write up my results and discussion (which of course is the bulk of the article...good job, Shell). It's been like pulling teeth to convince myself to sit down and write lately; this article is even worse. I have a general idea of what I plan to write for my remaining sections, so now it's just to sit down and do it...easier said than done.
Since I've been lacking creative inspiration lately, I've decided to take the night off tonight and indulge in some live music at my favorite venue in the city - The Company House. A dear friend of mine is a musician in the city and will be playing there tonight. I'm hoping their energy will somehow translate into some sort of "aha" moment for me with my writing. At the very least, I get to listen to good music. Win-win!
I hope to continue posting on a regular basis, though my track record indicates otherwise. I hope everyone is doing well and making progress with their projects! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment