"Some set great value on method, while others pride themselves on dispensing with method. To be without method is deplorable, but to depend on method entirely is worse. You must first learn to observe the rules faithfully; afterwards, modify them according to your intelligence and capacity" -Sze and Wang, 1963/1707, 17).

"You name your way, I name my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist" - Neitszche

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Setting the scene: the particular and personal of my writing project

What connects me to my project? What scenes come to mind? Which events/conversations/moments speak to my project?

I have decided to undertake two projects for this class; the first is a journal article for the Portuguese Studies Review which is due in early May. Due to the timing of this course, the article will be submitted before the course is half over (hence the reason for the second project). The other piece of writing is much more personal, and will be a compilation of memories and stories from my perspective about my mother and our family. It is my intention to eventually interview her to gather her stories and memories.

So how do I connect with these projects? Let's discuss the article first. To be honest, I have no connection to it other than financial. Two years ago I was hired as a research assistant on a project investigating academic underachievement in the Portuguese-Canadian community, and was offered a chance to be first author on an article focusing on the Halifax interviews I had transcribed. Knowing it would be foolish to let that opportunity slip by, I begrudgingly accepted the offer...but I've put it off until now. My abstract was accepted by the journal, and I have two weeks to write the damn thing...and finish my analysis. Sigh. The scenes that resonate with this project are mostly negative - the fight to find the motivation to transcribe, the loathing I felt at having to spend time on it, my general lack of knowledge and interest of the subject...at this point, I just want to get it done and forget about it. I see it as simply something to add to my CV that will look impressive to those whose opinions I could care less about. Sigh.

The second project, on the other hand, is filled with scenes, moments, and motivations. My mother and I have always had an undeniably strong bond, growing up with her as a single parent. We've had our ups and downs, and have come to place of mutual understanding and respect, so long as we don't live together. Throughout my life, I've always been fascinated by tales from her childhood, hearing about her life prior to indoor plumbing and other modern conveniences. I've marveled at her experiences of growing up when things seemed simpler, when there were fewer distractions and more connections with people. In June of last year, she suffered a fairly serious head trauma, resulting in post-concussion syndrome which she is still coping with while off on long-term disability. The image of receiving the phone call and rushing to the hospital will be forever embedded in my mind. The realization that she may not recover has been the catalyst for capturing her stories and memories, before it is too late. Her mother suffered from Alzheimer's which has always been at the back of my mind, from the time I was a child. Their stories played a pivotal role in my life, development, and understanding of the world, and I feel they should be preserved, even if it's solely for my own piece of mind and comfort. The thought of losing my mother is both devastating and inevitable, and I feel this will aid in my grief whenever that day may come. Life is too precious to waste, and I want to remember her as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment