I began yesterday morning as I do every other morning; break from the sleepy haze by groping for my phone to see what I had missed in the few hours I was asleep. I opened up Twitter and Facebook, only to find both plastered with news of a horrific beating that took place of Gottingen St. early that morning. Normally this type of news would leave me mostly unaffected, but I felt compelled to read further to find out what had happened, since it happened outside of a well-known gay bar. As many of you have probably already read or heard, the victim was 49-year-old Raymond Taavel, a prominent activist within the community. Witnesses stated that they heard an altercation and homophobic slurs used.
Last night, a vigil was held at Menz bar which quickly spilled into the streets. I arrived shortly after 7pm, and Gottingen Street had been closed to traffic with hundreds of people grieving and sharing stories. The energy and love was palpable. I've never met Raymond, but the tragedy really struck a chord with me: after decades of fighting for queer rights, bashings, bullying, slurs, and hatred, I thought we (I mean "we" as in the queer community and society at large) were finally getting to a point where we could move past the hate to a place of love. The fact that the assailant has a history of mental health issues only complicates the tragedy further. Stigma versus stigma, and everyone suffers.
I've included links to a variety of posts regarding the tragedy and vigil from yesterday and today. Halifax's poet laureate Tanya Davis shared an amazing piece of work she crafted yesterday upon hearing the news, and Stewart Legere accompanied by Tanya Davis, Ria Mae, and Rose Cousins performed a beautiful gospel number, "When I Went Down To The River".
Tanya Davis: http://www.thecoast.ca/TanyaDavis/archives/2012/04/17/for-raymond-and-for-all-of-the-raymonds-which-is-to-say-for-everyone
Audio and news story from vigil: http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/Haligonians_gather_to_remember_Raymond_Taavel-11859.aspx#.T44eFH_UON5.facebook
Rainbows for Raymond: Why, this time, changing your profile picture means something: http://liveactionfloyd.tumblr.com/post/21318765006/rainbows-for-raymond-why-this-time-changing-your
On the Meanings of Raymond Taavel's Death: http://acultureofdefeat.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/on-the-meanings-of-raymond-taavels-death/
Regardless of your personal feelings towards gay marriage, same sex adoption, homosexual activity, or anything related to the queer community, understand that they are people just like you. They are your sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, family, and friends. They feel, love, hate, and breathe just as you do. Show them that you love and accept them for who they are, because they love and accept you for who you are.
Call it what you like: a log, a journal, musings, rants, raves, or mindless blathering. Anything I feel may be of interest to you or me will be added in. Regular posts should not be expected (though I promise I'll try really, really hard).
About Me
"Some set great value on method, while others pride themselves on dispensing with method. To be without method is deplorable, but to depend on method entirely is worse. You must first learn to observe the rules faithfully; afterwards, modify them according to your intelligence and capacity" -Sze and Wang, 1963/1707, 17).
"You name your way, I name my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist" - Neitszche
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment